Berkshire Hathaway Energy Canada is currently recruiting for the following position(s):
BHE Canada - Calgary, AB
BHE Canada is a Canadian subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy. BHE Canada is focused on identifying and investing in business opportunities within all aspects of the energy infrastructure market across Canada, as well as electricity transmission internationally; BHE Canada has a particular focus on renewable energy such as wind and solar. BHE Canada is headquartered in Calgary, Alberta. Working closely with the Manager, Accounting - BHE Canada, the successful candidate will fill the full-time position of Senior Financial Reporting Specialist at our Calgary head-office location. You will be responsible for the preparation and analysis of actual and forecast legal entity and consolidated financial statements, the application of accounting standards, coordinating the annual financial statement audit process, and assisting with some treasury functions.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can question the status-quo and make recommendations to create and improve business practices and financial controls as well as effectively manage costs and analyze financial results.
Current scope includes reporting on the corporate development activity to capture business opportunities over $100 million and the reporting on the operation of one 20 MW gas-fired plants that is operated by a BHE Canada subsidiary. As new opportunities are captured, they would come into scope of this position.
- Financial Reporting & Audit
- Prepare consolidated and non-consolidated financial statements with associated notes according to IFRS, including detailed working papers to facilitate the external audit process.
- Coordinate both internal and external auditing processes and the provision of information to the auditors, as well as coordinate the engagement of external auditors as and when required.
- Track internal audit findings, recommendations and associated management actions to address identified gaps or weaknesses.
- Prepare, review and analyze monthly management reports including variance analysis and presentation of the results to senior management.
- Budgeting and Forecasting for BHE Canada and subsidiaries
- Prepare and analyze the BHE Canada consolidated budget and forecast and the relevant presentation material for senior management and the Board.
- Prepare BHE Canada’s 10-year forecast including pro-forma financials, with appropriate level of detail for inclusion in BHE’s consolidated 10-year forecasting, and associated presentation packages.
- Treasury and Tax for BHE Canada and subsidiaries
- Prepare cash forecasts, bank reconciliations and monitor banking relationships.
- Understand and ensure compliance with all applicable debt covenants and monitor debt levels.
- Understand and manage any derivative arrangements and ensure that they are properly accounted for in line with IFRS requirements.
- Coordinate the preparation of tax returns and carry out general tax planning activities.
- Ensure that payroll taxes are accurately processed and paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that GST reconciliations, payments and claims are properly done and processed on time.
- Board Meetings for BHE Canada and subsidiaries
- Prepare material for presentation to the BHE Canada or subsidiary boards covering areas such as annual budgets, forecast updates, 10 year forecast, budget performance and financial disclosure.
- Work with internal and external service providers, Finance, Accounting, Tax and Insurance teams, to ensure a high level of accuracy and timeliness in the delivery of the financial reporting for BHE Canada businesses.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Manager, Accounting and other senior management team members.
- Business degree or related education.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) required.
- 5-7 years of financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting, and financial modeling.
- Proven ability/experience in the above noted responsibilities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office applications, SAP, Simply or similar applications.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Exceptional team skills and experience working with senior executives.
- Self-starter who can work independently, and balance multiple priorities within tight deadlines.
- Proven track record of good attendance and job performance.
This position will remain open until the vacancy is filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Please submit your cover letter and resume to recruitment@BHE-Canada.ca.